Friday, February 25, 2011

Little House on the Prairie...I mean Neighborhood

We lived without power for 36 hours...and it felt just like we were
living during the time of Little House on the Prairie.
The Ice Storm of 2011 took down power lines and created some amazingly beautiful problems.
 Hubby was out of town for the duration of our power outage, which made things a little harder...but, we made it through. 
The first night we cuddled in bed and woke up to a FREEZING house.

 The next morning as I was lying in bed I pondered how I was going to make a cup of coffee for myself.
Seriously...how would you do that?
I don't have a clue how I would boil water over the fireplace.
K.K. decided we should have a gas stove instead of electric...good observation...that would help.
I started a fire and guess what?  My dear friend brought me a hot coffee, from Biggby. 
She was amazing to brave the storm and deliver my morning brew.  Thank you Karyn! 
During the day we sat by the fire and read the end of Little House on the Prairie and we talked about what it would be like to live with out power and technology. 
It was a great teachable moment.

We got ready for our night at 4:30...with out any lights we wanted to be prepared.
Our dinner was hot dogs roasted on the fire and brownie ice cream sundaes.
(The ice cream was melting...good excuse, right?)
Before bed Rachel and Brian Bell stopped by to see how we were doing...funny thing was, they had power.
They thought it would be fun to hang out by our fireplace and play flashlight tag.
Then they went home to their warm home.
We slept with sleeping bags on the floor in front of the fire.
I had to add logs to the fire every hour, which meant I didn't sleep so much.
I think I brought in 6-8 cratefuls of wood throughout the 36 hours.

The next morning we decided to find a warm place with electricity.
We went to our church and played in the gym, watched a movie, played games and took showers.
A group of friends joined us at church for a pancake dinner...
(we had to use up all of our eggs, bacon and sausages that were going to go bad.)
Our power was back on...and Hubby came home from Ohio.
It took a few days to get my Internet back up. 
It maybe would have been a good idea to plug it back into the phone jack.
OOPS.
But, I am back in blog land...for better or worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really make it appear really easy together with your [url=http://www.longchampsacpliage-fr.com/sac-pliage-longchamp-pliage-c-7.html]Sac Pliage Longchamp Pliage[/url] presentation however I to find this topic to be actually one thing that I believe I'd never understand. Sac à épaule Pliage Longchamp [url=http://www.longchampsacpliage-fr.com/sac-%C3%A0-%C3%A9paule-pliage-longchamp-c-5.html]Sac à épaule Pliage Longchamp[/url] , It kind of feels too complex and extremely broad for me. I'm looking ahead for your subsequent submit, I??ll attempt to get the dangle of it!