Friday, January 14, 2011

Homeschooling

My first (and favorite) job is being a mother of three beautiful children.  Secondly, I am a teacher.  This year we felt that God was leading us to homeschooling and it has been a fantastic choice.  Our basement was rearranged into a  classroom this year and it has been a perfect place for us to dive into our studies.  This summer I found these amazing wooden desks at a garage sale, three of them for $25.  There was only one sitting out at the sale and I said, "That desk is so fun, I just wish you had three of them."  He jumped up and hauled out two more.  That's just meant to be.  (I hope to paint them this upcoming spring.)


Here is the view from the other side of the classroom
These lockers were a special find at the Shipshewana Auction House.  The kids love to store their books, their unused "backpacks" and their magnets inside their lockers.  There are a few things from school that are just cool...and having a locker is one of them.  I paid $10 for the lockers...but put hours of sanding the old paint and rust off from these guys.  I wish I had a picture to show you the before and after shots.
(Do you see my Bible?  That is my school Bible from when I was in 5th grade!)


This is our reading corner.  "E", my first grader, is learning how to read.  What a great time this is for me as a mother and teacher.  I love listening to him sound out words and put together sentences.  The look in his eyes and the smile on his face is so rewarding.  We spend a lot of time on this little couch cuddled up and reading little books.

This was a note that our "janitor" left for us one morning.  What a great husband and dad!  After a day of teaching the last thing I really want to do at night is clean up the classroom...so he will often put the janitor cap on.  We all get so excited when there are new notes and verses on the chalk boards.  I am blessed.
This is my favorite thing of the classroom...my teacher stool.  I love it because it reminds me that my job as a teacher is important...and that I want to make a difference in my children's lives.  I want them to be well educated.  Everyday I feel blessed to instruct them in the way they should go. 
Do you know someone who might need or want a teacher stool? 
I have two ready to be created...just for YOU!!




1 comment:

sara@augustfields said...

'bout time friend!!! so exciting you've plunged into the blogging world! love the schoolroom.....how awesome that you have your own janitor! :) ha! :)

oooo....i reeeeeaaaallly like your lockers too. way to go teacher!